Communications & Development Associate
The Human Trafficking Legal Center serves as a pro bono clearinghouse to connect trafficking survivors with highly-skilled pro bono lawyers. The organization conducts extensive case research to identify gaps in services and system failures. The organization works both nationally and internationally to protect workers’ rights and to support their efforts to fight for justice around the world. We work to force governments and corporations to combat forced labor in global supply chains.
COMMUNICATIONS – Responsibilities (40%):
- Support the Development & Communications Director in increasing social media engagement, developing communications strategy, and creating content for outreach campaigns.
- Conduct research to support communications.
- Design narrative and visual materials for publication.
- Increase social media reach and conversion to other forms of participation.
- Update website with new content.
- Manage audience and engagement data, including website, social media, and other relevant communications metrics.
- Monitor online conversations on issue areas related to the Human Trafficking Legal Center’s mission.
- Identify key influencers and media targets.
- Maintain press lists, identify press opportunities, and track press coverage.
- Assist in creating and compiling outreach materials.
DEVELOPMENT – Responsibilities (40%):
- Support organization’s development operations.
- Update donor records using database.
- Track events, donations, and financial reporting.
- Research opportunities for grants and individual giving.
- Research institutional funding opportunities
- Assist with drafting proposals.
- Support the Development & Communications Director in tracking the status of grant applications across all program areas.
- Draft, mail, and track donor acknowledgement letters.
- Run monthly fundraising reports.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the Human Trafficking Legal Center’s activities, impact, and accomplishments.
- Collaborate on team-wide development, communications and program-based projects, including fundraising campaigns and special events.
- Participate in planning and execution of fundraising events.
ADMINISTRATIVE & PROGRAMMATIC SUPPORT – Responsibilities (20%):
- Provide administrative support to legal services team.
- Maintain and update criminal and civil case databases.
- Support monitoring and evaluation program.
- Provide administrative support for meetings and events.
- Provide support for domestic and international travel by staff, and other duties as assigned.
- Experience with journalism, social media engagement, communication roles.
- Experience using social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Experience drafting media pitches, press releases, press advisories, and op eds.
- Experience with Canva, Adobe Suite, and WordPress.
- Experience with fundraising donor management databases.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is $32,000 to $37,000, commensurate with experience. The Human Trafficking Legal Center’s compensation package includes generous benefits such as medical and dental insurance, as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and the organization offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day in addition to paid sick, personal, and annual leave. This position is exempt for overtime purposes. This position is eligible for part-time telework consistent with the organization’s telework policies.
This position is a full-time commitment.
This position will be temporarily remote. Any candidate selected should be prepared to report to work in the Washington, D.C. office.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please send your cover letter, resume, short writing sample (2-5 pages), and a list of 3 references, all in PDF format, to [email protected] with “Communications & Development Associate Application” in the subject headline.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.